The SAP CATS timesheet provides many standard validations and messages during time entry. For basic data entry, these standard messages can be configured to meet the business requirements. For more complex requirements, SAP allows for custom validations via a user exit. Once implemented, these custom validations can be leveraged in each of the standard CATS user interfaces.
Here are some example scenarios where a custom validation may provide a benefit:
- Validate that receiver cost objects have the proper custom or standard status values
- Validate the data in custom CATS fields
- Custom validations for Absence/Attendance types
Implementation and coding of the “CATS: Validate recorded data (CATS0003)” user exit is needed, but for some requirements this may be quite straightforward. There are 4 high level steps involved:
- Define a project in the User Exit Project Manager, and include the CATS0003 user exit component.
- Define a custom message class, and messages in Message Maintenance. The messages defined here will be displayed to the users when the validation is executed.
- Develop the user exit code itself. This code will determine what timesheet data is validated, and what type of message will be issued (Informational, Warning, or Error).
- Activate the user exit project.
This is a screenshot of the IMG step to access the User Exit Project Manager. The User Exit Project manager can also be accessed via the Transaction CMOD. General information about CATS0003 and other user exits can be found in the SAP Enhancements transaction: SMOD.
This screenshot shows the user exit project components once the CATS0003 exit has been added.
The actual user exit code will be added by a developer in the ZXCATU03 include shown below. The primary structures the developer will be concerned with, are FIELDS and I_MESSAGES. The CATS data is provided in the FIELDS structure, and the custom validation messages should be returned in the I_MESSAGES table.
Once implemented, the “CATS: Validate recorded data” user exit can provide more information to all users that enter CATS timesheet data. The user exit can also issue errors in the case of incorrect data entry, with the ultimate goal of more accurate CATS timesheet data overall.
ABOUT HR FOCAL POINT
- When time, accuracy and high-quality support are essential, HR Focal Point's precision approach to SAP HCM solutions is the clear choice.
- HR Focal Point has been the SAP HCM expert since 2004 with hundreds of years of combined consulting experience its team.
- HR Focal Point has the SAP HCM experts that will allow you to achieve your goals on time, on point and on budget, thus maximizing your ROI.
- HR Focal Point offers a flexible engagement model so you only pay for the services you require, when you require them.
- As an SAP Services Partner, HR Focal Point is known for delivering high-quality solutions, in support of SAP HCM, that are completed accurately and on schedule.
- HR Focal Point has partnered with SuccessFactors to develop and deliver innovative Cloud solutions, including Employee Central Payroll, for their clients.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
HR Focal Point
Telephone: +1 855.464.4737