You have just set up a garnishment for an US employee on infotype 0194 and 0195 and you now suddenly receive notice that they have been released from the garnishment order. How do you stop the garnishment so the deduction does not continue to be taken? This document will go through the steps to accomplish this task.
STEP 1 – Updating the Garnishment Document
- You can do this thru the menu path Human Resources → Personnel Management → Administration → HR Master Data →Maintain or by using the transaction PA30.
- Enter the personnel number for the employee with the garnishment.
- Select the Garnishment Document infotype in either the Garnishments tab or enter the infotype number “0194” down at the bottom in the direct selection area.
- Click on the Overview button.
STEP 2 – Finding the Garnishment Document Record
- From the List Garnishment Document select the record that shows the garnishment that should be stopped.
- Then select the Copy icon to copy the record (Note: You want to select copy rather than change so that there is a history of the change. In addition, retroactive changes for garnishments are not allowed).
STEP 3 – Releasing the Garnishment
- In the copy Garnishment Document screen you will enter the start date of the new record (Note: This date must be the first day after the last check date. Garnishments cannot be ‘retroed’ in SAP; any corrections/changes must be made in terms of going forward. If you do enter a date in the past, the system will display an error message).
- Enter the new status of the garnishment. In this case since you want to stop the garnishment, you select the “Released” status.
- Enter the date the garnishment was released.
- Click on the Save icon.
- A message will display showing the previous record will be end-dated. Hit enter.
- This will take you back to the List Garnishment Document screen and you will see the previous record has been end-dated.
STEP 4 – Updated Records Display
- You will now see both updated records from the list screen:
- The old record of the active garnishment, which was automatically end-dated as of the day before the start date of the record you created.
- The new record of the garnishment which shows the number 4 under the status column to reflect it has been released and is no longer active as of the start date you entered.
- Select the green arrow to go back to the Maintain HR Master Data to complete the second part of the process. Note: You could also go back into the record you updated and select the order button to access the garnishment order. If this is the case, you would skip to step 7 in this document.
STEP 5 - Updating the Garnishment Order
- Select the Garnishment Order by entering the infotype number 0195 down at the bottom in the direct selection area.
- Click on the Overview button.
STEP 6 - Finding the Garnishment Order Record
- From the List Garnishment Order select the record that shows the garnishment that should be stopped.
- Then select the Change icon here to end-date the record.
STEP 7 – Update End Date
- Using the release date of the Garnishment Doc you just modified, enter the End Date.
- Click on the Save icon (Note: This will take you back to the List Garnishment Order screen).
- Select the green arrow to go back to the Maintain HR Master Data to complete the second part of the process.
STEP 8 – Run a Simulation to Validate
- Optional: If you would like at this time, you could run a payroll simulation to check that the deduction is no longer being processed.
By following these steps you can successfully update a garnishment for an employee to stop being deducted when you have received notification that the employee is no longer to be garnished.
ABOUT HR FOCAL POINT
- When time, accuracy and high-quality support are essential, HR Focal Point's precision approach to SAP HCM solutions is the clear choice.
- HR Focal Point has been the SAP HCM expert since 2004 with hundreds of years of combined consulting experience its team.
- HR Focal Point has the SAP HCM experts that will allow you to achieve your goals on time, on point and on budget, thus maximizing your ROI.
- HR Focal Point offers a flexible engagement model so you only pay for the services you require, when you require them.
- As an SAP Services Partner, HR Focal Point is known for delivering high-quality solutions, in support of SAP HCM, that are completed accurately and on schedule.
- HR Focal Point has partnered with SuccessFactors to develop and deliver innovative Cloud solutions, including Employee Central Payroll, for their clients.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
HR Focal Point
Telephone: +1 855.464.4737