SAP Payroll provides an extremely flexible Gross to Net engine that is capable of calculating even the most complex payrolls for extremely large employee populations. This, along with the capability to process retroactive payroll-relevant changes, can offer numerous benefits in comparison to legacy payroll systems.
In some circumstances, complex custom payroll processing, large employee populations, or a significant amount of retroactive activity, can cause the payroll runtime to become unacceptably long. It is for these circumstances that SAP created the “Parallel Accounting” and “Parallel Execution” programs.
Note: These programs are intended for organizations that do not use the Process Manager (aka Process Models) to execute the payroll process. The Process Manager provides its own features for parallel processing, which are actually recommended by SAP for new implementations. Nonetheless, the parallel execution programs remain available for payrolls which are not executed with the Process Manager.
- The “Parallel Accounting” program RPCSC000 is designed to split a payroll driver run into several jobs which can then execute in parallel across the available SAP application servers. This parallel processing can significantly reduce payroll execution times.
- The “Parallel Execution” program RPCS0000 is designed to split payroll evaluation and time evaluation programs into several jobs. Many programs which are based upon the PNP logical database are supported. Here are some examples:
- RPCIPE00 - Posting to Accounting
- H99_POST_PAYMENT - Posting of Payments
- RPURME00 - Third-Party Remittance Evaluation Run
- RPTIME00 - Time Evaluation
This article will focus on the “Parallel Accounting” program for Payroll in the US; however, the process for using the “Parallel Execution” program is very similar.
The Parallel Accounting program name is RPCSC000, and does not have a transaction code assigned in the standard system. For this reason, access transaction SA38 and enter RPCSC000. A custom transaction code can be assigned, if required by the organization. Upon executing the program, the following screen is displayed:
- Payroll for country: The appropriate payroll driver program (RPCALCU0 in this case) is selected by the scheduler automatically based upon country. The payroll driver program is assigned to a country in table T596F. This configuration should be confirmed when setting up the scheduler for the first time.
For example, the required entry for US Payroll is a symbolic name of CALC10.
- Variant name: A variant for the payroll driver is required in order to properly select the employees and execute payroll. Functions are provided to display, change, and create a variant.
In this case an existing variant (EXAMPLE) for RPCALCU0 was selected.
Example RPCALCU0 Variant:
- Schema: This selection is automatically populated based upon the RPCALCU0 variant selections.
- Reference personnel number: If the organization processes reference personnel numbers in payroll, select “Yes”. SAP provides additional documentation in the F1 help for this field.
- Job Handling Selections:
- Number of pers.nos per job: To build jobs based upon the number of personnel numbers, specify the number of personnel numbers that the scheduler should submit within each job.
- Number of jobs: To specify a fixed number of jobs that should be submitted independent of the personnel number count, specify the number of jobs.
- Short title of job: SAP will use this text as the job description, and will append a number for each job.
- Start all jobs at once: Select “Yes” to force SAP to build all the jobs first and then submit them for execution simultaneously. Select “No” to submit each job as it is built.
Once the setup steps have been completed the scheduler can be executed either in the foreground or in the background. The following output is produced by the scheduler, and is useful for validation and troubleshooting.
The individual payroll jobs can be further reviewed using standard functions of SM37. As with any background execution of the payroll driver, the results (including warnings and errors) can be reviewed in the spool.
Example of payroll run results in the spool.
As you can see, SAP provides the method discussed above to decrease payroll (and related process) runtimes even for organizations who have not yet begun using the Process Manager for regular payroll.
ABOUT HR FOCAL POINT
- When time, accuracy and high-quality support are essential, HR Focal Point's precision approach to SAP HCM solutions is the clear choice.
- HR Focal Point has been the SAP HCM expert since 2004 with hundreds of years of combined consulting experience its team.
- HR Focal Point has the SAP HCM experts that will allow you to achieve your goals on time, on point and on budget, thus maximizing your ROI.
- HR Focal Point offers a flexible engagement model so you only pay for the services you require, when you require them.
- As an SAP Services Partner, HR Focal Point is known for delivering high-quality solutions, in support of SAP HCM, that are completed accurately and on schedule.
- HR Focal Point has partnered with SuccessFactors to develop and deliver innovative Cloud solutions, including Employee Central Payroll, for their clients.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
HR Focal Point
Telephone: +1 855.464.4737